For questions about the DC superhero alias of a number of comic book, animated, and movie characters. Their powers comes from a ring fueled by willpower and lantern. The first Green Lantern was in a comic book written in 1940. Always use in conjunction with the [dc] tag.
In the original comics the name Green Lantern has been used by various heroes:
- Alan Scott, not a member of the Corps, first appearance - All-American Comics #16 (July 1940)
- Hal Jordan, re-invention of the character, and occasional leader of the Corps, first appearance - Showcase #22 (October 1959), played by Ryan Reynolds in the live action 2011 film
- Guy Gardner, first appearance - Green Lantern vol. 2 #59 (March 1968)
- John Stewart, the second African-American DC hero, and main Green Lantern in the Justice League cartoon, first appearance - Green Lantern vol. 2 #87 (Dec. 1971/Jan. 1972)
- Kyle Rayner, first appearance - Green Lantern vol. 3 #48 (January 1994)
- Simon Baz, first appearance - The New 52 Free Comic Book Day Special Edition #1 (May 2012)
- Jessica Cruz, the first female Green Lantern from Earth, first full appearance - Justice League vol 2. #31 (August 2014)
The name had also been used to refer to the Green Lantern Corps, of which the eponymous Green Lantern is almost always a member.
Green Lanterns have appeared in multiple cartoons and TV series.