For questions about Robert A. Heinlein who was an American science fiction writer. Often called "the dean of science fiction writers", he was one of the most popular, influential, and controversial authors of the genre. Only use for questions about the author, for questions about his works use the specific work tag instead.
He was an engineer, and his stories held up to a high standard of scientific and technical plausibility. He was one of the first SF writers to break into mainstream, general magazines in the late 1940s, and then into the mass-market paperback market. Heinlein often mixed engineering themes (including space exploration) with social themes, with a political orientation that shifted over the course of his life.
Heinlein won four Hugo Awards for his novels, and three more of his works received “Retro Hugos”. He was the first science fiction Grand Master. His legacy to the English language includes the words grok and waldo.
Some of his famous works include:
- The Future History series.
- Have Space Suit — Will Travel
- Starship Troopers
- Stranger in a Strange Land, an unexpected cult success during the sexual revolution of the 1960s.
- The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
- The Lazarus Long novels
- The World as Myth universe encompassing many science-fictional universes.