I remember starting this book several times in the early 2000's.
Facts I vaguely recall:
- A female main character, probably teenage or preteen.
- She has found/acquired eggs of these robotic/tech/mysterious scorpion-spider-things, and is attempting to raise them separately.
- One of the creatures is aggressive, and I believe kept in a box in a basement/garage. The other is kept in her bedroom closet or under her bed?
- I believe the cover may have portrayed a mechanical spider/scorpion.
- I have a vague sense that it may have used themes common to coming-of-age books written for adolescents.
I never made it far into the book, and remembered finding it particularly stressful as a young reader (somewhere around 7-9).
My mother often grabbed cheap/used sci-fi/fantasy novels wherever she could find them due to my voracious reading, one other book I remember reading around that time was The Game. Real shot in the dark, but this question has been lodged in the back of my head for over a decade now.