I read a book a few years back that I’m hoping someone can identify for me. These are the tidbits I remember:
- Smallish community setting, near-future
- Microphone surveillance in every room
- Kids tossing a ball, one of them noticed the ball was "somehow different" (could identify the color red for the first time)
- Kids being appointed jobs when they came of age except protagonist
- Protagonist was skipped in job appointment ceremony, but was given special one-of-a-kind-job. Someone apologies to community and everyone responds "Apology accepted", which is sort of a cultural custom.
- The elder who’s job the protagonist was replacing had great respect in the community and the inconceivable power to disable the microphone in his home
Any one know what book this is? I read it probably twelve years ago.