I am having a very hard time tracking down a book series.
- It's about a young man who finds out he's a wizard and slowly gets trained up as one.
- I think he specialised in water magic
- In either the first or second book he has to defeat a fire Mage who is causing a great drought
- There at least two books in the series and in the second one he meets a female Mage with similar powers to his own.
- I have a very vague recollection that some of the household objects in his house could talk - could be wrong about that.
- The first book was published around early 90s at least that's when I borrowed it.
- The book was probably aimed at young adults
- Definitely not a high fantasy novel, magic system was quite basic and a lot of it had to do with weather related stuff, i.e. floods and droughts.
- I think in that world mages were very uncommon so his appearance was unexpected.
It's entirely possible that one or more of my memories are conflated with other series!