Back in the 90's (I think), I read a friend's Elseworlds comic and now I'm trying to find the title so I can get it. I don't remember the exact plot, but here are the highlights I do remember:
- Rather than sending just Kal-El, hundreds of Kryptonians heeded Jor-El's warning and came to Earth, taking over and ruling the planet as super-dictators
- The highly advanced Kryptonians saw the humans as a primitive race and treated them as lower-status members of society.
- Both Jor-El and Lara were alive, but Kal-El had still been raised by Martha Kent as his nanny because Kryptonians disliked physical contact or emotions
- Kal-El often snuck out of the Kryptonian compound to visit his human girlfriend, Lois Lane, and she kept trying to convince him to help the human rebellion
- At the end, Kal-El donned a suit which looked somewhat similar to the Superman suit, but with Kryptonian armor/highlights. I think Lois made it for him to inspire the rebels?
I looked through the Wikipedia article for Elseworlds titles, but didn't see anything under the Superman ones that rang a bell. Please note that I could be wrong about any one of these details - it's been a while since I read it. And given the timeframe, it's possible that it wasn't actually labelled as an "Elseworlds" story, but that's what it was - a one-shot 'What If?' kind of thing.