- Something I completely forgot to mention that a buddy reminded is that Wonder Woman's bracelets are also limiting her abilities. So while wearing the Bracelets of Submission her abilities are already suppressed. So whether or not she wants to hold back, while wearing them she already is...
- Wonder Woman is a God from the get-go in the DC Extended Universe (DCEU)
- She was not always a God in the comics; but that doesn't mean she didn't always kinda have it.
- Maybe she received the enhanced abilities after her resurrection and become a Goddess.
- And of course... Gods have every right to be "deadly"
So in the DCEU Wonder Woman has been re-branded as a God. This is how she was able to defeat Ares. As Ares explained to her in Wonder Woman (2017):
Only a God can kill another God.
That would mean in and of itself that within the DCEU Wonder Woman is the "strongest Avenger." The only question to answer then is by what standard is she a God? Diana herself even seems to go along with the idea that Superman is the key to defeating Steppenwolf.
Just as Thor is only seen as a God by humans and is not a God in reality, Diana could be in a similar situation. We do not know by what standard she is classified as a God. Given that she killed Ares, Gods can die. If there is another that could be on the same level as Diana and kill her, then they too would be classified as a God in that instance.
Perhaps Superman can be classified as such. Or perhaps, despite having greater strength and etc. he could not kill Diana even given his best effort. We do not know the answer... yet.
But, Wonder Woman was not always a God as can be seen here sourced from the first comics. She received gifts from the gods, but was only the soul of the first woman killed by men reincarnated. Receiving these gifts would not make her a God, only something altogether unique. She only became a Goddess after being resurrected.
However, of those gifts given as a child, she received wisdom, strength, and speed. This is of course not documented in a calculable fashion and I am unsure if in the old comics she ever shows off super speed, but arguably the only time she would need to display this would be against Superman or Flash. Perhaps, just as we know Superman is always holding himself back, Wonder Woman is as well.