I had thought the title was either "Children of Eve" or "Eve's Children" but searching turns up several books with those titles, none of these are the right one.
These are the plot details I can recall:
Some sort of environmental breakdown had occurred on Earth long before the events of this story. Whatever it was hadn't happened quickly, though, as the human race had time to establish a project that took YEARS to prepare for, which involved sending ships out into space to settle humanity on other worlds.
We know the project took years to develop, as the main character remembers her parents working on it when she was a child.
The plan was to send carefully selected crews on these ships, in suspended animation, along with a cargo of human DNA.
Something went wrong with this particular ship and main character (Eve?) was the only crewmember to survive the suspension process, she then had to basically rear her ship's contingent of children by herself.
Here are the titles I found on searching which are NOT the book I am looking for:
- The Children of Eve by Tim Bishop
- Children of Eve by Kevin Casey
- Children of Eve by Isabel Constance Clarke.
- Children of Eve by Jerry Monroe
- Children of Eve by M. D. Poole
- Children of Eve by Deirdre Purcell
- Eve's Children by Robert J. Fortin
- Eve's Children by Hank Garner
- Eve's Children: The Biblical Stories Retold by Gerard P. Luttikhuizen
- Eve's Children: The Return to Africa by Sharon L. Flin