I am trying to remember the name and/or author of a fantasy book I read back in the mid 1980s. I have tried searching, but the Googles have not been helpful. This is what I remember of the book:
- feline humanoid race
- female lead character, something of a priestess
- priestesses had the ability to perceive and mentally dominate/capture "ghosts", and use them for different purposes, such as transportation, weapons, etc.
- the higher into the atmosphere a character searched, the bigger/more powerful were the available ghosts.
- the priestess eventually used captured ghosts for space travel.
- lead character died at the end of the story and her spirit returned to "the all".