I'm looking for a short story that appeared in an anthology of either fantasy or science fiction stories.
- I believe the story is called "The Day is Saved"
- Personal Honor was an important aspect of the story
- There was a rivalry between the dragon riders and the army (navy?)
- The army/navy was equipped with cannon-firing airships
- I believe the dragons were more of a royal-guard/jedi type then a standing military unit
- I recall some monarch-type elements that kept the dragons in play even over the airships 'superior military advantage'
- The battle was fought more than once (perhaps more than twice) with the military losing the first time
- They were besieging some sort of castle-like fortified structure
- I believe they were fighting in the mountains
- The airships were a relatively new invention in the story
- I think the airships were held aloft by magic
- The castle was also held together by magic, it was being actively 'repaired' by wizards renewing the magic
- Magic is spelled unusually with both a C and a K (magicks) in this story.
- Crafters are used to create and reverse-engineer magic
- Airships are lost if they travel to far down to the "Bottom" (capitalization from the story)
- The initial battle, led by the military, was lost due to an ambush
- Only the attacking faction (which had the dragons) had airships, the other side did not.
Handful of Character Names: Jeantrou, Hastind, General Dennis
Unfortunately I read the story in a used book store, so the book is also likely to be on the older side.